The fundamental research conducted at the department of Biomedical Engineering focuses on the following area:
- Micro and Nanoengineering in Medicine
- Nanobiomaterials and Nanomedicine
- Biomedical Microelectromechanical Systems
Advanced BioNEMS Laboratory
- Micro-/nano-fabrication, especially using cleanroom technology, polymeric nanotechnology and flexible electronics for manufacturing micro-/nanoscale Bio-chips.
- On-chip cell or molecular manipulation, such as magnetic tweezers, dielectrophoresis(dep), and& microfluidics.
- BioMEMS for gene and drug delivery in vivo and in vitro.
Smart Nanobiomaterials and Nanomedicine (SNN) Laboratory
- Development of metallic cardiovascular stents and bone fixation devices
- Polymer and metallic coatings on implants
- Implants-tissue interface and interactions
- Novel drug delivery vehicles and cellular and tissue uptake
- Neurovascular defects and blood-brain barrier dysfunction
- Alzheimer's disease, amyloid peptide, and oxidative